The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

spring break

I am in the midst of my first ever "spring break", and this is why I have not been able to write for a while. I am set to depart to Florida for an amazing trip, but have just recieved word from my associate, mr. zanax, that my flight has been delayed. Henceforth, (always wanted to use that word instead of "therefore") I now have ample time to RANT to you about vacations, spring breaks, and anything else that pops into my head.

One thing that puzzles me about vacations is the tendency some of us have to fill them with activities. I myself am guilty of this, as I plan on going to Universal Studios, and a Mets spring training game. Both of these endevours will require an early morning wake up. Now, doesn't this somewhat defeat the purpose of a "vacation"? A real vacation would be just lying in bed and watching nickelodeon for as many hours as you can before you have to get up and go to the bathroom. I remember being in Florida with my pals on previous vacations, and some of them yelling at me to wake up because its already 9 am!!! They would tell me that I have to get out early if I want to get a full day of the sun at the beach. This really never made any sense to me at all. Why would I want to lie in the hot sun and try to sleep out there, when I am already sleeping comfortably in an air-conditioned econo-lodge?? Again, its that tendency to always force ourselves to be doing something, because we cannot stand the idea of just sitting around and doing absolutely nothing.

But in my humble opinion, sometimes thats exactly what we need. We are in school, or working for a living, and the stress of those things can really get to us. Throw in the social stress that many of us are going through at this time, and you really just need to give your mind a break. Nothing can provide your mind with that break than...simply doing nothing. Of course, its better to go to a warm place and do nothing, then to do nothing in cold,dreary NY or Philly or wherever. We all know that our moods get much happier when that first day of spring hits, and we can wear short sleeves, unless you are a girl reading this who never wears short sleeves anyway. But imagine that you did. In any event, thats why I am going to Florida on this vacation. I just need to sit and do nothing in nice weather. Thats simply all I want from my vacation.

But as I have said earlier, things will always try and prevent that serenity of mind. Already, I am dealing with the delayed flight. How many delays will there actually be? How long will I be stuck in the airport, and how many bad purchases will I make while sitting there? Getting stuck in the airport can be one of the worst experiences possible. I was once stuck in Cleveland for 9 hours and simply went outta my mind. I started calling girls and just saying crazy things to them; at least it provided me with entertainment and gave me someone to talk to. So how can I have a peaceful vacation when I am already thinking about the horrible possibility of being stuck in the terminal forever.

And there is also the packing issue. I have no idea how to do this. I try to pack all my stuff, and then my Mom comes into my room and takes it all out, and re-packs it. Somehow it only takes up half the space when my Mom does it. It might have to do with this trick called "folding", but I do not wish to know of such concepts. So i pack twice as much as I need, b/c I'm always concerned about missing something, and I end up having more outfits then a seminary girl on pesach break. And I end up forgetting something anyway, like a toothbrush or a shaver or my driver's license or sneakers.

Ideally, I really crave a peaceful vacation, in which I can just temporarily ignore and escape from the educational and social pressures that are constantly present in my life. I am stressed now about the packing, and the airport, but I think I'll be Ok when I finally arrive in Florida. I hope to update you on the highlights of my vacation, and I will be documenting every day via video camera. take care, my dear readers, and I'll think of you when I'm getting woken up at 6 am to go to the beach.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fades
    thankfully, you are now back to your more classic format (as opposed the more introspective basis used for the "thoughts on siyum ha'shas") and i can once again waste my time thinking of something half-funny to add. which is good, considering my pediatrics exam coming at the end of this week.
    my thoughts are the following: vacation comes from the lashon of "vacate", or to leave. therefore, a "true vacation" would probably be just leaving your house for an extended period of time - anything else is superfluous. a "lazation" (m'lashon lazy) might be sitting at home being totally unproductive, watching tv, or picking one's nose. whatever. in this regard, you make a valid point - why fill the "vacation" with activities ("activitation"?) if you are obviously already yotzei zein just by going away?
    i personally don't believe this shitah - when i vacate, i also activitate. this way i come away with a feeling of total accomplishment, rather than "what did i do when i was away?"
    all the best
    drek

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Drek, you're such a liar. I happen to know that on a certain trip to London, you and I voted that we stay at our host's house and read books, rather than tour. That aggravated a certain someone else...

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fades, firslty, let me say that when i am bored at work, its good to at least pass a few minutes of time by reading this jazz. the only problem is i try not to laugh becuase i am a lowly rokie in the business work who sadly spends his day in a cubicle, and when i laugh, everyone will know i am not working. so what ends up happeneing is i try to hold it in but then it comes out as some weird noise or snort or soemthing which makes me look like more of an idiot than originally planned. but its all good, because i jsut waait till others leave for lunch so i can laugh wihtout looking foolish.
    secondly, to address the issue at hand, i completely agree that you have to do something during any vacation. I for one, need to ski and wake up early and be the first one on the mountain during vacation. its like a drug to me. a drug that makes me wake up really really early. but in the end, you do feel much more accomplished and u feel like u did somethin which is worth it. well, that, adn that skiing is awesome.
    have fun on your break
    zlot'd. and i am bored at work right now

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, as a young South African, I grew up calling it "going on holiday." Doesn't that sound a lot more festive? And shouldn't something festive include fun expensive activities like Universal Studios and Buddy's wedding? I'll see you there soon Fades - Or maybe I'll catch you on MTV's spring break (even though it's probably in Jamaica or something) grinding in a crowd to No Doubt's latest hit single. Either way, you should be drunk and half naked.
    Billy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder