The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

eye contact

First of all, its Adar, so everyone should get happy. Do whatever u must to be in a constant state of glee and know that this is what G-d wants. Now, I must RANT.

First, the rumors are true. I went on a date on Saturday night, which means that I definetly have some more entertaining stories to add to my long list of disturbing and awkward date incidents. But somehow this date went very well, as I'm sure my date will agree. During my post-date analysis, I asked how I did with eye-contact. My date said I was fine, but I am still quite unsure. You see, eyecontact has been a major problem for me throughout my social history.

It all started in 8th grade when a female friend, who was probably genuinly looking out for me, informed me that my eyes seemed to focus on a place they should not be. I told the girl that I was simply short, and I was looking straight ahead, and in 8th grade girls are still taller than boys (or at least were still taller than me) So while other guys looked straight ahead at girls' faces, I ended up looking straight ahead at...well, not at girls' faces. And the problem has only grown throughout the years. Now I am at a normal height and able to look at a person's face, but I always find myself thinking of crazy things during these moments. If i am looking at a person, I will think of what would happen if i suddenly punched or kissed the person. Or i picture the person's skin being peeled off to reveal an alien or robot. And it totally ruins my concentration to the pt where I can't even hold a normal conversation, b/c I am imagining these ridiculus scenarios. Somehow, I am able to maintain eye contact at the worst times. Like I have no problem looking at girls through the machitzah, and I wont even look away when they see me. So I'm always looking at the wrong things and times, and I cant keep eye contact at the right times.

And this is part of a much greater physical contact/intimacy problem. Lets go back to the first (and only??do u buy that?) kiss , when the girl had to tell me that I was supposed to kiss her. SO i went for it, and ended up kissing her nose. Great. Similarly, there was (and still is?) a minhag in highschool that you were supposed to quickly exchange kisses on the cheek upon seeing a female at a social scene. And I hated this minhag, b/c I always screwed up this simple manuever. Either I would turn my head the wrong way and bump heads with the girl, or end up kissing her forehead or hair. Never ever did it right.

So for a guy like me, who may very well be "intimately challenged", shomer nagiah is a real blessing. Previously, this is how a conversation would go with a girl and me.

Girl: hey the fades, give me a hug u cute member of the loli-pop guild
Me: Ummm...nah
Girl: Why not!!
Me: Get away.

But now, with the availability of shomer nagiah...watch what happens for me.

Girl: The fades, give me a hug
Me: No
Girl: Why?
Me: B/c I am Shomer Nagiah
Girl: Wow, that is awesome. good for you!!!!

So no more awkward physical moments for me. The lesson? be happy about all the halachos b/c they can sometimes help us in some unexpected ways. Maybe this RANT doesnt apply to you, but I'm sure you can apply it in some way. GN and Chodesh Tov.

12 Comments:

  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    rube...glad u like this one. I think it counts me one time per day and thats it. But i could be wrong. As for the last paragraph, I don't agree with it either. But i wanted to end with a lesson, like on fullhouse.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man Fades, you had the same mindset in high school as I do now. Every idea you say applies to me and im sure most other high schoolers. It scares me when i read these things knowing that they are 100% accurate. Really great rant flavelord. Love ya Fades.

    Your Friend,
    Regis

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fades
    how was i supposed to know all along that you were this comic genious in hiding? i guess at ur sis's bat mitzvah i should have been more attentive... that was my only window. what can you do?
    anyway, yasher koach on the date, and actually getting an analysis. as a verteran of at least 5 or 6 dates, i would say good job. keep up the rants - helps me pass the time easier.
    drek

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good job Fades. You were right about what you said at mincha yesterday-this is really funny. Your blog is a tremendous incentive for me to lug my computer to Copyright. If I end up taking notes I owe it all to you!

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger The Fades said…

    Drek? who are you ? U seem like a good person.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This post is in light of another wonderful rant by the fades himself. Tell Regis to stop imagining throwing people into the river. Regis, if u read this post, dont throw her into the river or i will never talk to u again! Love yah fades and miss u like a fat kid misses cake.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    shomer negiah is one way to get over this social awkwardness, the other would be to make out with as many girls as possible- moreover, you liar- I can think of two girls you kissed u manwhore!

     
  • At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fades,
    yeah, so you do know me... but a good person, i don't know?
    im your oldest male cousin from your mothers side, stuck in israel for some time now. it's good, these blogs, they keep me in tune with reality (not like here).
    just a question - why is it that all the girls that i meet are shomer negiah? is that a coincidence?
    drek

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh The Fades! I am gitty to find out that you have a forum to express your brilliant insights as opposed to restricting them to awkward outbursts during your vaads.
    By the way I also have those weird thoughts when talking to people; I usually think what would happen if I just cursed at them and ran away. I used to think of stuff like that during shiur, but I think if I jumped onto R' Hirsch's desk and started screaming, he'd probably just say, "okay veeery goood" and just keep teaching, so it problably wouldn't be worth it. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You may think yourself around the lady folk, but imagine if you went to an all boys high school, then the experience of insecurity around women would be heightened. Th last conversation I had with a women was whether I could have her snack pack. So the divide widens when I have spent about 8 years in an all male school enviroment. (high school 4 years, israel + YU = another 4 years) Making eye contact with a women would be the highlight of my day, and I would talk about it to all my friends. So what I am trying to say is whenever you feel a little socially awkward around women, just think about me and you will know there is someone more unskilled with the ladies than you.

    -Notorious B.O.B.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm gonna be honest with you: you get the eye contact problem from Elliot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder