The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Friday, February 25, 2005

Snow Day!!!!!!! but not really.

Last night in Philthydelphia, it was snowing and the weatherbug thing told me it would be up to 9 inches. An email went out from law school telling us who to call to find out if class was cancelled. Naturally, a flame of hope was kindled in my belly. strange. But seriously, I thought that this might be my first snow day in law school ever. I was filled with excitement at the proposition of wasting an entire friday, but alas...school is in session. But this won't stop me from making this RANT in respect for the concept of a "snow day."

You see folks, there are 3 types of days that gave us a much-needed break from our mundane and often stressful life in highschool. First, we had the sick day, which was more of an individually imposed break. You needed to get sick and only then could u take the break from school. When I was a youngster, my Mom would take out movies from the library, so I could watch them when I was sick. For some reason it was always the same 3 movies: "Doc Hollywood", "The Burbs", and "Groundhog Day." Lets briefly discuss each of these masterpieces. Doc Hollywood should be famous for being the first PG-13 movie to contain nudity. I'm not sure how the ratings board lets this one go. I guess they just decided that the human body is beautiful or something to that effect.(same rational for titanic??) Anyway, I cannot tell u anything else about this movie, b/c i only remember that it had nudity. Next, "the burbs"...again, I remember absolutely nothing about this movie, but it has to be Tom Hanks absolute worst one. Its a tough call what his best one might have been, but thats a whole nother RANT. Next, "groundhog day", which is a solid pick. But it was really weird that my Mom kept taking out a movie that is about a guy who keeps living the same day over and over again. So everytime I was home sick, and seemingly living the same day over and over, I watched a movie about a guy doing just that. Did anyone just follow that? Me neither, but maybe it explains some of my mental health issues.

The second day that gave us that amazing break was "The Fast Day." Disadvantages include only getting a half day off, and NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT OR DRINK. I dont know about you, but we also had to sit through this long assembely and then daven mincha before we could get outta there. It felt like Andy Dufrein crawling through all the crap to get outta Shawshank. (I'm not saying that Mincha is crap, just that we finally felt free when we got out.whatever) But the fast day was nice, because it was a good day to just play as much video games as possible, untill your eyes no longer work. good times. I wonder what girls did on the fast day, b/c they really dont play video games. Just something to think about.

And this brings us to the "snow day", which I thought I would get a taste of today. The most interesting thing about the snow day was the way it started. The Dean of HANC, Rabbi Gottesman, would look out his window in the early morning hours, and decide if there should be school. So let me get this straight. As far as I know, the dean of the school was in charge of 1)snow days, and 2)ummm... very strange. Anyway, there was some phone squad that was supposed to start a chain untill every single person was called. I was on that squad one year, and I got a call from Rabbi Gottesman himself. He said "Ari, no school b/c of the snow. Your a good boy, and zero tolerance for drugs!!" I thought this was really weird, especially at 6:32 am, so I just went back to sleep.

In any event, snow days were absolutely amazing. The possibilities for kids on a snow day or just endless. You can play tackle football in the snow, build snow creatures, shovel snow for money, throw snowballs at people, go sledding, man--its really the best possible thing that can happen ever. Snow days: I salute you, you gave me some of the best days of my childhood, and I expect many more. And when u melt, I will miss you.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll tell you exactly what girls do on fast days in high school. girls rent movies and 9 out of 10 usually eat after chatzos. Because its a fast day we can't just eat a snack bc if you're going to break a fast it better be on something good. So its a big meal of pizza or a bagel with a lot of whatever u put on it, then ice cream and popcorn and continue the day watching tv and movies until parents get home from work and make dinner, bc clearly they're not fasting either. so half days were an excellent way to spend fast days with no school

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well i cant speak for everyone but on fast days id sit around and think of u ; )

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    umm. this is disturbing.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was a kid I made a snowman look like it were sinking into the ground from the snow around it. But after i would finish it, it just looked like a hill of snow. So I think that was the last time I played in the snow. Also I have noticed after you started your blog, many other people from our year of esteemed alumnis have started their own blogs to try and reach the madrega you are on, but that clearly cant happen. So in honor of the last sunday in Feb. I will remember the great works of some african american fellow who has gone unnoticed yet has somehow done america some great service.
    --B.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    hey B- can u send me the links to those other blogs. I'm curious to see whats going on with that

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I once put snow in an ice cream cone, peed on it and ate it. It was good.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fades, cant you get the blog to disallow comments from Sluts r Us? Seems that the person has some serious issues...

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    I can discuss this with the blog administator who is in charge of comments and editing. I know "sluts r us" comments have been removed in the past, but I think this last one is acceptable. Your telling me you never urinated in the snow?? But seriously, I will monitor the situation closely.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder