The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Super Bowl Thoughts.

Well Super Bowl XVIIIRQVVVVS has finally arrived. I am actually sitting and watching the game as I type this. The entire first half, I thought about actually writing this RANT, but was simply too lazy to walk from my couch to the computer, a distance of 8 feet.

So this year's superbowl is quite different from last year's. Lets compare and contrast, like we had to do in first grade, when we had that book called "critical thinking". First, in terms of comparing, we have the Patriots in both this year and last year's game. And thats it for similarities. In terms of contrasting, lets start with the halftime show. It seems that the people in charge wanted to find the individual least likely to do something even remotely inappropriate on national TV. So they chose Paul McCarthey, who put on a decent show, but it was depressing to see the jello-type wrinkles on his face. My venue for watching the game is also very different this year. Last year I was at a Superbowl Party in Washington Hizzeights, with dougies, beer, and a girl wearing a football jersey, which is essential to any good party. Right now, I am in my apartment in Philly, with 2 other males, and we are eating shabbos leftovers. (which are delicious, thank you Mom) Also, I am currently drinking a glass of tap-water which has a strange milk-like after taste. So the emerging theme is that last year's events were more controversial and "on the edge", while this year's are more dull and subdued.

Lets talk commercials. So far, I am loving these commercials which depict a man working in an office full of monkeys. These monkeys are a real great lot. In one commercial they pranked the man by putting a whoopee cushion on his seat. Made me realize that the whoppee cushion has become such an under-utilized prank lately. Its definetly time for the re-emergence of the whoopee cushion, and I plan on trying it in school tommorow. The other commercial I want to discuss is one in which the army people are shown returning through the arrival hall of an airport. All the people are clapping and cheering for them as they have finally returned home. (see the Movie "love actually" for more on the theme of airport arrival halls) This commercial was emotional s. It made me get a weird pain in my throat and made my skin prickle up. Also, I got tears in my eyes and I think the other guys saw. Its nice that this commercial was made, but I'm not sure if the Superbowl was the right time to air it. I think it probably caused lots of emotional confusion for folks, and might have lost its desired effect. Large beer-guzzling men all over America are probably not going to stop and cry when they see this commercial , and many were probably in the restroom. Instead, they should show this commercial right before "scenes from the next OC", when no logical human being would change the channel or even move.

Before I return to the game, I must make my prediction. I say the Patriots win but don't cover the spread. I base this on my former chavrusah and present friend- Uri Burger, who explained that the Patriots are all about "achdus". For this reason they can overcome any obstacle and have met great NFL success. So, these are the lessons from watching the superbowl. 1) we gotta have "achdus" like the patriots. (unless they lose, then this theory is problematic. 2) its awkward to cry from a commercial in front of other people. Later.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that if the Eagles would have put Burt in as quarterback with 2 minutes left, they would have won the match. It is clear to me that Mister Burt is NFL's all time greatest QB. In addition to being a star athlete in all sports, he has graduated medical school, obtained his law degree from Harvard, and is currently finishing his s'micha from Yeshiva University..

    ....

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fades
    it was just last night actually that someone introduced my to your site, and already im a fan. what can i say - hopefully this will have more permanance than an arab-mediated cease-fire.
    regardless, since im in a different country, i only saw half of the bowl, and missed sir paul's riveting performance. plus, i saw no commercials. and we all know that the commercials are 99.9% of the time the highlight of the 'bowl.
    keep up the truth
    ~dr. d(rek)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder