The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

the restaurant enemy

Last night at 12:45 am, I ate a package of pastrami and drank grape juice. While this may be very disturbing, I must remind you that today is "purim katan" , so my festive meal last night was warranted. Furthermore, it would be appropriate for all of us to have some type of celebration today, unless you are from Shushan...then u should have the celebration tommorow. But since this is Purim Katan, the celebration should be less than the one that will occur in 1 month. So, instead of wearing a costume, just wear a funny hat. Or instead of drinking 2 bottles of wine, just drink 1. You get the idea. And b/c this is purim, this RANT will be extra wacky.

Lets continue to discuss the 5 towns, a very important topic. Now, I had the pleasure of meeting my friend Yoni Rosenblatt for brunch on sunday, who is 8 feet tall. Yoni was bothered by the fact that all meetings among friends, family, etc. has to be over a meal. I would like to express my agreement with Yoni on this puzzling issue. Think about any time you have met someone recently. There always has to be some type of meal involved. Did I just eat dinner in my house? Yes. Doesn't matter- i am forced to now go to another meal and force myself to order more food. Maybe guys love to meet for meals b/c there are no girls around, and we can finally eat with our hands and drink the soup straight from the bowl. And I would say the same would apply to a bunch of girls meeting together for food. No more salad, lets go straight for the buffalo wings ladies.!!!! Nevertheless, the insistence on meeting over a meal is still strange. Maybe, there is simply no other meeting places available, and there is simply no other choice.

Anyway, we were supposed to meet for "brunch", which I have never done b/c sunday morning is reserved for the heralded "post-minyan" nap. Everyone knows the famous passage from Chronicles of the Fades: "Happy is he who experiences the post-minyan nap, for he is both physically and spiritually satisfied." But this sunday was reserved for a brunch and by 10:45 we were ready to eat. So here is my question...if a restaruant serves omelettes and waffles, what time would u expect it to be open? 24 hours? not likely for a kosher establishment. 8 AM? maybe. 9? for sure. But here we were outside this place, and it was not yet open at 10:45. strange s.

Delay of the meal forces us to Judaica store. This place is awesome b/c you can listen to the latest jewish music on earphones. People reading this should check out this band "mizrach", which i heard on the earphones. Amazing. The lead singer is very handsome, as well.

And now, we are finally ready to eat our brunch. We get a table for 2, and I feel like I am on a date with another man, who is twice my height. A heavyset fellow is hovering around us and throws 2 menus at us angrily. He continues to hover , and finally drifts elsewhere. Yoni whispers to me "that guy is my enemy", but offers no further explanation. I am about to continue the discussion, but the enemy is back, hovering over us in a menacing fashion. Feeling pressure to order quickly, I order the soup in a bread bowl, and realize i have been tricked into washing. Enemy tries to grab the menus away from us, but we tell him we still haven't ordered our main meal. Enemy makes an odd motion with a clenched fist, and goes to harass some other costumers. Luckily, we had a great waiter, who was wearing his tzitis out w/ jeans (the cave dress code), so we wanted to give him a good tip. We left it in the little book they give u, and started to bench. Big mistake. Enemy quickly came back and swiped the book up in his talons. No tip for the waiter. Enemy wins again.

I'll never understand people like the enemy, who seem to be angry at people for coming to their restaurant and paying for a meal. There is an enemy at a pizza shop near me, who also gets angry when you order from him, and mocks you no matter what you order. I guess we just can never understand the enemy, thats part of what makes him so evil. But its purim katan today, so dont worry about the enemy right now. Dont worry about the angry people walking around and permeating every place we try to go and eat soup out of a bowl made of bread. Dont worry about the negativity. Remember Haman was probably gay. Chag Purim katan sameach.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i would like to wish a mazal tov to ari feder on his victory in the daytona 500. very impressive. great rant, we missed you saturday night, and your restaurant tip wasn't great.
    later,
    dk

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger The Fades said…

    Liz, u remind me of this NYC restaurant called Deli Kasbah. This place is classic, b/c i guess its owned by Lubavitchers, so there are tv's which show the rebbe dancing and speaking. So weird to watch that while eating a deli sandwich. Also, I was there on Chanukah, so they had a chasid playing piano near the kitchen. That was kinda depressing actually, but still classic.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmm. i wonder, do u ever wish u were a torah?

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    This comment puzzled me, so I consulted with my friend Josh Koegel. He told me that he doesn't wish he was a Torah, b/c then he wouldn't be able to learn from it. A "shtark" and brilliant response. I concur.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    I'm gonna let that one slide, but lets try to be less graphic from now on.

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ari, Congrats on hitting the Big 1,000. Im expecting that this means you will be sponsoring the kiddush this week, or at least making a Cholent, after all this week is the famed Chololympics(which, by the way, is very fertile ground for a new rant). As a side point, are you a cholent or chulent person, being that you are semi Chassidish after all. Furthermore, is Cholent capitalized or written in undercase. Please oh educated YU person enlighten us plebians who are the unlucky recipients of a BTL.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was actually wondering if you meant the pizza store in philly has an enemy b/c we've had some bad experiences there too... not only do they mock what we order, but they also give us weird stares when all you want is a slice and fries. To top it off, the enemy there has created a nickname for me- Gingee, and I don't have red hair, nor do I think I smell like ginger, so maybe it's like a curse word in enemy language.
    -your philly cuz

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Im a new reader but I love it. It brings seinfeld to life, which is what I love about Seinfeld. Keep it up

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    hey, welcome my new reader friend. Spread the word to all ur pals. I certainly appreciate your kind words and support.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Falva Flave,
    You line of "And I would say the same would apply to a bunch of girls meeting together for food. No more salad, lets go straight for the buffalo wings ladies.!!!!" needs to be expanded upon.

    Hopw is it that u know what the ladies r thinking. Maybe u should write a rant (hey, that rhymes) on "What Women Want" because I could use some insight on the matter. Anyway-as always, a great rant. Keep up the good work, big dawg!!!!

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger The Fades said…

    Umm. let me get this straight. You want me to write a RANT about "what women want"?? My track record shows I have no idea. But I'll think about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder