The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Janice

This weekend left me plenty of time to think which is never ever a good thing. In any event, I began wondering how I became who I am today. What events in my youth made me crazy? Lets see...

One bizzare phase of my life centered around a woman named Janice. Janice, was a large african american woman who lived with us for a period of 4 years or so. Her official role was "house keeper", but she also served as my body guard and chef. I think I realized the raw power of Janice, when a neighbor's dog was chasing me one day. It chased me all the way to my door, when Janice suddenly appeared. Her voice boomed at the dog "What u think ur doing!!! You best be getting away from him!!! " The dog quickly retreated, as any smart animal would, and I was safe. But at the same time I had realized that I was in the care of a very frightening woman. If Janice made fishsticks, I felt compelled to eat all of them, even though that sometimes meant eating 48 in one sitting.

Janice also wore strange outfits, which only added to my fear. All those old clothes that we put in the basement to throw out or put in one of those clothing charity bins, somehow ended up on Janice. So sometimes I would see Janice walking around with one of my old winter hats from when I was 3 , you know, the kind that has the giant pom-pom on it. And she wore this hat even in the summer, making the whole thing very comical, yet disturbing.

The whole concept of having a housekeeper needs a bit of examination. First, we must distinguish between a housekeeper, and a cleaning lady. In essence, the housekeeper denotes a woman who actually lives in the house, and she is its keeper. This is strange, b/c my parents own the house, yet they have entrusted it and its keeping to an immigrant woman who wears strange hats. Also, I cannot recall if Janice had another place to go on weekends, or if she was always with us, even on the holy Sabbath. If so, what did she do on Sabbath? I know she didnt eat with us or anything, so did she just stay in our basement all day with nothing to do but play nintendo? Actually, that sounds pretty good. Another issue, is what happens when the housekeeper gets fired...where does she go? Is there some type of temporary housekeeper center for all these people untill they find another Jewish family to live with? If so, i bet that housekeeper center is very clean.

Anyway, a cleaning woman is just what the name suggests- she arrives, she cleans, she's a woman, she leaves. Kind of like a wife, except a wife doesnt leave. Some Jewish families have these cleaning woman once a week, some twice, and some everyday. There is also the "cleaning service" crew, which is usually 2 or 3 men who get out of a truck with a few giant vaccum cleaners and clean the entire house in 32 minutes. They are probably more efficient, but I'm guessing more expensive. I just wonder if non-Jews have the cleaning woman come in as well. Maybe its like bizzaro world, and they have Jewish cleaning woman only. Like maybe all our Grandmothers are secretly cleaning the houses of the non-jews, but they just don't tell us about it b/c we will feel bad. Yeahh....maybe. Have a good day.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My yeshiva had a jewish cleaning lady. I did indeed feel very bad for her. She was really old.

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fades-
    Here is a piece from the Story of Bill:
    I have some pleasant memories of my nanny in Jo'burg. Her name was Constance, and she was a very sweet zulu lady (although back then they all had to be sweet to white people). She lived in her own apartment in our backyard and her bed was raised extra high because the africans feared the tokolosh, a short demon that would kidnap them while they slept. Her cooking specialty was mashed carrots, which was basically orange mashed potatoes. When I was misbehaving she would say to me "Jonathan (pronounced Joh-nah-tahn), I will give you hot clap!" But I don't remember getting spanked by her. I don't think I was too bad because she was upset when we emigrated.
    Billy

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In some sort of a twisted way you may be correct. I have heard on occasion that the "polish" cleaning lady/housekeeper is our form of retribution for us having to clean their houses during WW2. Perhaps an Egyptian cleaning lady would be particularly applicable to the pre Pessach cleaning, and a Spanish cleaning lady for the Sphardim. Actually after a bit of consideration i've realized that we can almost have any nationality clean our homes and that would be a retribution for something that they have done to us in our history. Everyone that is, except the Africans who haven't really done anything to us (unless you include certain African Americans-think Jesse Jackson and Loius Farrakhan), so Fades, I think its time that you change your housekeeper's nationality. Might I suggest a Crusader or perhaps a Muslim?

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i know i havent posted in a while...but excuse me: a cleaning lady is kind of like a wife except she LEAVES???!!!

    ARI, where is your meschlichkeit?

    -liz

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    Liz

    I apologize for my offensive comment. I'm sure I will realize the full stupidity of it when I myself get married. Or maybe I won't, but we'll see...

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As a child who was fortunate to spend many play dates in the Feder household growing up, I seem to recall that there was a name for this women. Was it not, the "gorilla?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder