The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Purim Night

So I hope everyone is having a very happy and meaningful Purim. I traveled back to NY and was able to attend the YU chagiga which has really become "the place to be". But before I discuss that, let me fill you in on the events of Taanit Esther and Purim night that eventually found me dancing in YU with my Mom's fur coat on.

I usually have no problem with fast days, but I knew Taanit Esther was gonna be a bad one. First, I would have to sit through 3 law school classes without my daily does of coffee from Dunkin Donuts. The ladies who make this coffee should be honored at some kind of dinner for the simpletons. They are all of Asian dissent, and are amazing workers, just like all the Asians in my class, except they are all going to be wealthy instead of working at Dunkin Donuts. Anyway, these asian women are like robots behind the counter. I have learnt their secret asian robot language and to order I simply say "medium Ice..cream and sugar" and they know how to interpret it exactly. And what gives Dunkin Donuts the edge over Starbucks is not only its price, but also that I understand what I am actually ordering. Medium Iced Coffee means exactly that, and I dont have to order a Mochha Froccha Latte, and then put the sugar and milk in myself. Why is life so complicated??? Anyway, without my cherished coffee I knew this would be tough.

But I almost made it through everything in Philly today, untill right before i was set to depart for the road. Feeling weary and hungry, I went to my car, only to find an officer writing me a ticket for a parking violation. I had not put money in the meter b/c it said "out of order" when I parked there, so i figured I could get a nice free space. Wrong, instead I got a nice 20$ space. I'm not sure why I felt the need to discuss this, being that it is very uninteresting.

Lets get back on track with Purim. I went to Megillah reading in a house, kind of like a break-away megillah reading where they have a nice assortment of food for everyone to stuff themselves with after the Megillah. This all sounds very pleasent, except for the awkward crowd that gathers here. You see, when my parents moved into west hempstead a long time ago, they were friends with all these people. However, as time has passed, and we have moved to the "other side" of town, we no longer really talk to these people at all. Not saying anything is wrong with them at all, just that things have changed. But somehow, and I really dont get this at all, we always end up reading Megillah with them at this house. Can anyone make sense of this? You stop being friends with people, yet you gather around with them once a year to hear Esther and then eat alot of ziti. Very bizzare. But I got over it and mingled with some older women before departing.

And finally, decked in a fur hat and a fur coat, I arrived at YU at approximately 10 15 pm. Back in the day, the YU chagigah used to be in the beis medrash, and things were very different. It was much more "yeshivish" in that a girl could not be found in sight, and the smell was 10 times worse. YU has "mainstreamed" the chagigah now, and it was hopping. Here are the groups I found there. First you had the guys that came to dance, which included all kinds of guys, from Yeshivish guys, to drunk guys, to Yeshivish drunk guys. But then you also had the guys that came to scope out the ladies. And also, you had ladies who were scoping out the guys when they dance. The YU gym has a track around it that some strange people sometimes use, but tonight it was used for girls to stand around and watch as the guys went crazy in song and dance. When I realized the girls were watching, I shut my eyes and made very accentuated mouth motions to show that I was very spiritual and singing the words of each song. But then I realizedI was still wearing a ridiculus costume, and kind of gave up on the whole thing. OH, there was also the smoking group outside of YU, which I get a real kick out of, and I dont know why.

Now, at 1:30 am, I am home and completely sober. In previous years I have made the "rookie" mistake of drinking on purim night, and then having it impede my ability to drink wine at the seudah as we are supposed to. Tonight, i played it sober, and left the party early. All I can say, is it better pay off at the Seudah tommorow, b/c now I am going to watch the movie "the notebook" instead of staying and dancing. GN and PURIM SAMEACH.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahaha fades, you domb classic effer- trying to make yourself seem spiritual when the girls can hardly even see you? 20 dollar parking ticket? It all sounds better than my purim. I went to Brandeis after the Megillah and saw weird s like one guy who wore nothing but bubble wrap around his waist. no. not that. and a girl (someone told me she isnt Jewish even) wearing leaves around her private areas only. There were also some classic YU characters I've seen around and don't know and are for sure reading this. The best part was the homo who was throwing slices of pizza at me from a balcony. Great so a little brandeis dork was picking on me and thinking he was tuffff...
    Billy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder