The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Monday, January 16, 2006

The hearing aid excuse

To start with, can we all agree that www.thefacebook.com has surpassed www.onlysimchas.com as the number 1 site that modern orthodox jews check over and over again each day for no particularly good reason? Lets face it, everyone in college and grad school has a facebook account, and even the people that we would normally classify as "too cool for facebook" seem to be getting in on the fun. Sure, there are definetly some holdouts left, but its a very small minority. Facebook has become the new waste of time-juggernaut that onlysimchas was for so long. Congrads to a new champion.

Now today I decided to attend afternoon services in my home town of West Hempstead and an odd incident occured. I was participating in the part of "tachanun" where we put our heads down on our forearms, and the guy in front of me leaned back right into my head. I thought that once he felt my head on the seat he would move back up and let me do my "tachanun", but he continued to press back stubbornly into my head. Obviously, I was quite enraged, and when I looked up to see who this character was, I was surprised to see an old man with a hearing aid. Which brings me to the following critical issue? Does the fact that this man has a hearing aid give him the right to have bad manners? As far as I know, having a hearing disability does not effect the sense of "touch", and this man should have been able to feel my head as he rocked back into it for no apparent reason. What about being old...this guy was probably close to 80. Is old age an excuse for this type of behavior? I'm not sure what the answers to these mysterious are, but I let the guy off easy, without any type of verbal diatribe. But the real reason I did this is because I am afraid of altercations, and I knew I could just have a rant about this.

By the way, the putting the head down part of tachanun is no doubt- one of the most fun parts of the services. Did u ever put your head down and see if you can get away with just leaving it there for the rest of the time, and just take a nap? I tried that a few times in high school, and it was very effective. Only problem is on mondays and thursdays when Torah comes out right after, and everyone knows that you just passed out b/c otherwise you would stand up. To simplify and phras this as a new rule: the "secret nap method" is NOT EFFECTIVE on mondays and thursdays.

Some of the other parts of the services which I find to be quite enjoyable/fun include (in no particular order):
1) Modim D'rabanan: Its fun for me to see how much of this I can say out loud without looking at the words...I can never get to the end. I always end up just saying things like "B'rachos V'hodaos al..(make up some words here/or remain completely silent)...Baruch K-el Ha'Hodaos. I wonder if people hear it when I am ad-libbing on the modim D'rabanan?
2) The "Mah Na'aseh" part of Tachanun, when you suddenly are supposed to stand up. This is one of the rare parts of the services where we get to act out how we're supposed to feel when saying the words. Sometimes I like to jump up very suddenly and also hold my hands up. This usually makes others around me uncomfortable, kinda like when people open their hands and hold them out for a prolonged period of time while saying "poseyach es yadecha" during the "ashrei" prayer.
3) The three-step hop during Kedusha. I love this part, it gets me pysched; what can i say...I like jumping and hopping.

For those of my readers who are not Jewish, I guess you can just focus on the central issue of this rant: Should a disability give the person an excuse from bad manners/and proper etiquitte?
Obviously, if the behavior is related to the disability, then the person has an exemption, but this was not the case in the incident that occured to me today. I man with a hearing aid should still apologize or be careful not to shove his entire body into my bowed head. The hearing aid is no excuse.

9 Comments:

  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger If I Ran The World said…

    My personal opinion on what we should do with old people is simple, euthenasia. As for old people with disabilities, well I think this is the classic case of "Kal v'chomer". For those of you who aren't jewish or did'nt pay much attention in day school, that's A Fortiori. For those of you who understand neither of those terms, perhaps my euthenasia proposition should be expanded.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    yikes.

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Hopefool said…

    I've always dreamed of doing Hagba and yelling "I HAVE THE POWER!!!"
    Also, I'm proud to not be a facebook member.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hamas dating....hilarious http://abbagav.blogspot.com/2006/01/hdate-exciting-new-hamas-singles-site.html

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You ever notice how you always get a boner during shemoneh esrei? I mean, what's up with that? Is God trying to test you? Is this how he tested Abraham in ancient times? Abraham is first meeting the three year old Rebecca and God striketh him again and Rebecca runs home to tell her parents on him for being a pervert. All Abraham can do is look up at God and point as if he was in a Mento's commercial.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger The Fades said…

    the last comment troubles me for two main reasons:
    1) The use of the word "boner", which I haven't heard in 12 years. The phrase "erection" should have been used instead.
    2)Mixing up of Biblical facts: Its Yitzchak who sees Rivkah, not Avraham.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    3 things, basically unrelated:
    - much better!!!!
    - the tachanun is worse in the mornings, when your shel rosh gets smashed into your head and dislodged because of the leanback. jerk.
    - my favorite part of davening is when a nice, fresh post-israel bachur (or even on vacation maybe) has nice kavanah during shema and recites the whole first pasuk outloud, culminating with the obligatory cry of "EEEEEECCCCCCHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAD", and maybe swirling his head around for effect. just good, quality stuff right there!

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that was me
    -d

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger SINGERZ said…

    I'm pretty sure long tachanun is anti-semitism

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder