The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Monday, December 26, 2005

the science questions.

I am sitting at my computer wearing a tuxedo as I type this pre-wedding rant. I am not getting married, but my long time friend Jon M. is marrying a person. Jon M. is a twin, and the person he is marrying is a triplet. Thats some weird wacky stuff. By the way, I refer to my friend simply as Jon M. to protect his identity and to protect him from being associated with this unsavory website. Unsavory is a strange word that always makes me think of one thing: Slimer from the ghostbusters movies. Now then, I am curious as to how often a twin marries a triplet. I am also trying to figure out the biological difference between the two types of twins. All I remember is the following: You can have the kind of twins wear the egg splits, and then you can have the other kind of twins...but what is that other kind? It can't be that the egg doesn't split, b/c wouldn't that be only one child and not two? Furthermore, what happens with triplets and quadruplets and fivelits? Does the egg simply split into 3,4,or 5? That can't be right, b/c I think that would mean that all the kids would be identical and thats kinda freaky. Thats like cloning. If the triplets at this wedding are all identical, I am gonna be nervous and feel like I am partaking in some type of science experiment. I'm sure they are not identical, so this really isn't a concern for me. But if there are siamese twins at the wedding, I'm outta there.
I guess I am a bit paranoid about going to law school in Penn, b/c I see all these other people in med school and science grad school for things I cannot even begin to understand, and they all seem much smarter than I. Like for example, they can probably answer my question about the different types of twins. There are a few other biological/science things that I am fascinated with and maybe some of you science geniuses can answer them for me:
1) whats the difference between meiosis and mitosis? Are they really the same thing, but different elementary school teachers pronounce them differently? Which one do humans do?
2) Who would win in a fight between the "ameba" and the "paramesium"? I mean, the "ameba" has those arm like structures and thats good for grappling, but the paramesium has those hair-like cilia, which probably means they are gross to fight with...so the ameba is probably uncomfortable with the hairy paramesium. One thing is for SURE- I would pay to watch this fight.
3) what would happen if I didnt have an epiglottis? I love the epiglottis b/c its just a simple flap that opens up when I want to eat my food. But lets say there is no epiglottis at all??? Does it matter, or now its just always open? Basically, what I am asking is - can i cut out my own epiglottis?

As a final thought, I am probably the first person ever to have lit hanukah candles in a tuxedo. So mazel tov to me on that accomplishment.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Eric said…

    Your ignorance of the biological sciences is truly astounding! I don't know how you have any hope of excelling if you are going to insist on being so dimwitted. The problems you pose harken back to basic seventh grade life science!!

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    an answer to #3: u shouldn't cut out your epiglottis. it's purpose is to prevent a person from inhaling food and other stuff into your lungs. try to breath and swallow at the same time........ can't do it, because of epig!

    also, the "other kind" of twins (as i myself am) occurs when there are >1 eggs released from the ovaries ( for instance, 2 eggs). it is possible, however, that one of these 2 eggs itself may split after fertilization, thus producing triplets, two of which are identical.
    -d

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Up until now, I have been a silent reader, but being a Biology teacher (and d's twin), I feel the need to add in my own two cents.

    I just happen to be teaching about mitosis and meiosis now to my ninth graders- one of my pet peeves is when people pronounce meiosis like "meee-osis". I happen to prefer the "my-osis" way. Anyway it is different from mitosis in that it forms reproductive cells (gametes) while mitosis just forms regular body cells.

    As for the amoeba and paramecium fight, I would choose amoeba, because it can perform phagocytosis (my kids love that term) and engulf the paramecium. The paramecium's cilia (hair-things) wouldn't stand a chance. Also, on my slides at school, the amoeba is bigger.

    In my advanced bio class, each student had a favorite part of the digestive system. One kid chose the pyloric sphinctor, one chose the anus, and one chose the epiglottis. It is a pretty cool flappy thing.

     
  • At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ha ha
    you said sphinctor... and spelled it wrong too!! it's sphincter!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The sphincter says what

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    stem cell=nirvana gene=phylogony

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1272829084750074334&q=nirvana

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Last I checked, I'm not a twin...and I'm not marrying a triplet...and since when do you call me "Jon" instead of "Mil," "Bill," or "Phyllis"?
    Oh, is it one of those twins from YU? It has to be - he has the same initials.

    I always thought it was weird to meet a brother and sister that were twins. I don't think I've ever met identical brother-sister twins before. Do they also have the same psychic connection that other twins have on Unsolved Mysteries? That could lead to a crisis of sexual identity.

    It's true, I remember everyone loving phagocytosis.

    Chag Sameach (is there any other thing to say that is more specific to Chanuka?)

    Billy

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger The Mink said…

    Back in 2001 We lit the menorah in tuxedos following a wedding...I remember because I always show that roll of pictures to people forgetting that in the same roll is a picture of me running down the hallway of my YU apt building in nothing but a sock after losing a bet I made against myself while blowing a big lead in NBA Live 2002.

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger The Fades said…

    wait a second...2 guys have blogs about their exciting lives as park rangers???? Weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder