The Fades Rant

I'm the Fades, and I rant b/c i have some time to. I dont know..i'll talk about many things on this blog. Religion, girls, life. Thats about it. So really, I'll talk about 3 things.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Just a day at the ballgame

First of all, I gotta be honest with you people. I have had writer's block for awhile now, and I probably still have it, but since school is over for me (lasted 4 months), I should probably at least take a few minutes to provide everyone with something entertaining to read. So, I will do my best...

Today is a great day for people who live in Washington Heights or Spain, b/c it is "Cinco D'Mayo". I believe that this day commemorates some obscure battle in which the Spaniards beat the French somewhere. Its really a great day to live in a Spanish neighborhood like the Heights because all the people are drunk and roaming the streets, and selling lots of "trinkets" and old clothing. Now that I think about it, thats really everyday in the Heights, once the weather turns somewhat nice. And its not just the Heights; I really really believe that every person starts to get a little wacky once the weather turns somewhat nice. Older female teachers in elementary school used to call this "spring fever", but its really just that people are happy that its not freezing cold. Either way, to me that is the symbolic meaning of "Cinco D'Mayo". Its the day that ushers in thelaid back atmoshphere that always accompanies the spring and summer.

And yet, for Jews, we must contrast this with Sefirah, symbolically a time of mourning. Then again, I guess this is only a contrast today, and only if you are of spanish descent. Still, it is very difficult to feel any sense of mourning b/c of the nice weather and various other reasons. Sefirah means no shaving, but that doesnt bother me b/c I look like a rugged mountain climber or spelunker. (carmen sandiago reference). Sefira means no music, but I changed that to mean no LIVE music, so i am unaffected by that halacha as well. Additionally, there are so many exceptions to the shaving thing, s/a dating, job, interview, meeting, shabbos. Basically, there is probably one day that you cant shave before Lag B'omer. Also, Sefirah becomes somewhat fun for me in light of the counting madness that occurs. Only March Madness is more exciting then seeing how long I can stay alive in the count. Whats even more fun is the "hinting" to other people of what day we are up to by saying "last night was so and so". I always want to give them a little wink when I say it, but since I cant really wink, i usually just say "wink, wink". Its pretty awkward for everyone after that.

Anyway, b/c it is Cinco D'Mayo, I went to a Mets game. For those of you who don't know, the Mets are the greatest collection of Spanish men, since the Conquistadors. It was a great day, with good tailgaiting in a parking lot that we didnt pay for, good seats that we didnt pay for, and a Mets victory over my hometown phillies. In the back of my mind, I kept wondering if I should be celebrating Cinco D'Mayo at a ballgame, during Sefirah. But then I saw a few shidduch dates, and I knew it was ok to go to the game, at least for "tachlis". On a small sidetrack, there is a kiss cam at Shea which shows "couples" in the crowd and urges them to kiss. The entire crowd roots them on, and its usually an older couple and its kind of sweet, although I feel mildly gay for just writing that. (if there is such a thing as "mildly" gay.) ANYWAY, a couple nights ago, a friend and former chavrusah of mine who is single and very handsome, told me that they showed a shidduch date on the kiss cam. Somehow, despite the entire crowd booing them, they managed not to engage in the kissing motion. Would I have been able to resist this insane amount of peer pressure? NO. Would the girl have slapped me right after? YES. This guy who was able to resist is a tzadik. I salute him.

But i digress. At the end of the day I returned to my car to find that someone had decorated it with bbq sauce. This is indeed a new and unique form of anti-semitism/vandalism. Maybe this was G-d's way of telling me that I should not be celebrating with the Spaniards so much, but probably not. G-d's way of telling me that will probably be an eternal feeling of regret and despair in Gehhennom. But it was all for the best, b/c it forced me to get a carwash, which I had never done for my new car. And if this RANT wasnt so long , I would tell you all about the carwash. I guess I'm outta the writers block. Good luck to everyone with finals, and happy cinco d'mayo.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You Dirty Jew Bastard. I am the one who put the bbq sauce on your car. I also ran over one of those ducks from duck hunt yesterday...it was awesome. I got a haircut yesterday because it was a self proclaimed "Rosh Chodesh". Lets go out next week and have a simchah night with fine cinco d'mayo chicks. I dont want a large farva I want a g-d damn liter of cola.

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger The Fades said…

    we do have to go out now that I'm back. you make a valid point.

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Hopefool said…

    The fact that such anti-semitism could happen in the face of Shea Stadium is horrible. The s.o.b. who did that stole a great deal of the purity and magic that surrounds the aura of of our beloved Shea.

    Though I've only been to 7 Mets games this season I have seen more than a few "frum" (however you define that) ppl kiss on the kiss cam. Some were clearly married, others maybe, maybe not. Some definetly not. But I was at that game where the couple didn't kiss and though they were booed, I agree that they did make a kiddush hashem (though I wouldn't deem any of the frum kiss cam kissers as ones making a chilul hashem).

    And if you can plug yours on mine, then so can I:
    www.thehopefulfool.blogspot.com
    Find out why girls are hypocrites.

    LETS GO METS!!!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger The Fades said…

    the swastika thing was a joke. But it was a lot of bbq sauce.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Lawyer Finder